Hairstylists are like Gandalf, the grey- one swipe of their equipment and you have magically transformed hair- shiny and voluminous.
Sadly, it is impossible to replicate the look at home, regardless of how much effort we put in. The best you can do is, own the right hair products and equipment to manage your ringlets.
Here are some of our go-to steps for styling your curly hair.
6 Tips to Manage and Style Your Curls
- Combing: Curly hair needs to be combed from the bottom up as it will detangle easily if you start at the tips and reach the roots. Ensure you use a wide-tooth comb and make small sections, detangling the knots. Combing hair while it’s still wet will allow your curls to dry easily.
- Conditioning: Curly hair requires deep conditioning; therefore, use a deep conditioning hair mask to restore your lustrous hair and lock the moisture in. If you require some extra moisture, condition your dry hair and cover your head with a shower cap for about 15-20 minutes, followed by shampooing and conditioning.
- Drying: To dry curly hair, it is always recommended to use a t-shirt or microfiber towel as terrycloth towels are rough and frizz-prone, breakage-prone. Other than this, you can air-dry your hair too.
- Trimming: Make sure you trim your hair regularly as spit ends lead to frizzy hair. For a smooth and bouncier look, get a trim at frequent intervals. Consult your stylist for a personalised recommendation to suit your hair best.
- Protection at Night: Flat and frizzy curls are mostly unattractive. Therefore, if you want to protect your curls while sleeping and ensure that they are bouncy, the ‘pineapple trick’ is your solution. All you need to do is, tie a top bun with a soft scrunchie. A silk pillowcase is a safer option to prevent frizz and tangling during sleep.
- Hair Products: For maintaining curls seamlessly, pick the right shampoo and conditioner designed particularly for curly hair. For dry hair, sulphate-free shampoos are a better choice as they keep the moisture locked in your curls. Try using coconut oil for de-frizzing your locks, leave-in conditioners for hydrating, and a mousse or curl cream to add shine to your hair. Make sure you use a curling iron to keep your curls perfectly managed. However, check the diameter of the curling iron before you purchase one. One of the most essential hair products for curly hair is a curl-refreshing spray to keep the bouncy look intact after a night of sleep. On applying the curl refreshing spray, scrunch your hair with your hand and you’ll get perfectly defined curls. To blow dry your hair, try using a diffuser on your blow dryer to avoid direct heat. A heat protectant is a must for your curl care routine and you need to blow-dry your hair upside down.
Oribe Curl Gloss, Muk Kinky Muk Curl Leave in Moisturiser, Muk Kinky Muk Extra Hold Curl Amplifier, Joico Curl Confidence Defining Crème, KMS Curl Up Control Crème, etc. are some of the popular hair products in Australia, for curly hair.
If you are looking for curly haircare products for sale in Australia, look no further!